9.05.2012

The Best Guacamole That I've Ever Had (if i do say so myself)


I worked at a "Gourmet Mexican" restaurant during college and just after. An experience that left me with a taste for margaritas and a skill for making guacamole. I've adapted the restaurant's recipe to suit my tastes, and believe me, it's an unparalleled avocado experience.  




I've never been big on measuring things... I view cooking as more of an art than a science (probably why I'm not the world's best baker), but I can give you my guestimated recipe:

You will need:
  • Two whole avocados, split, shelled, and mashed to your liking
  • The juice of one whole lime
  • A good sized pinch of coarse sea salt
  • A couple of dashes of garlic powder
  • Half a dash of black or white pepper, whichever you keep on hand
  • A small handful of cilantro, washed and dried, chopped coarsely.
  • Finely chopped onion, the amount depends entirely on your preference
  • Drained, diced tomato, again, the amount is up to you
If you like a little heat, feel free to add some chopped, fresh jalapeno. Just be sure to wear gloves
 and scrape out the seeds... unless you want some intense fire.

  1. Put the shelled, split avocado in a medium sized bowl. Warm the lime in the microwave for about 20 seconds and roll it on the counter to loosen the pulp before squeezing the juice from the entire lime. Add the garlic, salt, and pepper, and then mash everything together. You can do this with two forks, OR, when I'm making a batch this size or larger, I like to pull out my handy dandy potato masher! How chunky or smooth you like your guac is another matter of preference. 
  2. Toss in the onions and the cilantro, and the jalapenos if you're adding them. Combine well to make sure ingredients are well distributed. 
  3. Make sure your tomato is well drained before gently folding them into the avocado mixture. You don't want to crush them, and tomato juice breaks down the avocado. 
  4. Serve cold with corn chips, or add a dollop to tacos or any other Mexican dish, OR try spreading the guacamole on a veggie burger! It won't keep very long, so be sure to enjoy it no later than the day after you make it.


Yum! Enjoy!

No comments:

Post a Comment