5.28.2012

Atlanta Part 3: West Egg


In the same little part of town as Yeah Burger, that old mill shopping center, and the west side Anthropologie, is a wonderful little eatery, West Egg. If you're a Fitzgerald fan, that name may ring a bell. It's from the Great Gatsby, and it's obvious that the book provided inspiration for the food and the decor.


It's a perfect spot for brunch. Though you'll likely meet a wait, it's worth it. I opted for the Fried Green Tomato Wrap with Roasted Garlic Grits, a biscuit with Spiced Honey Butter, and a freshly squeezed Lemonaid. Andrew went for the Belgian Waffle with Maple Syrup and Spiced Honey Butter, a side of Fried Green Tomatoes, and a Cappuccino.
I noticed the special of Red Velvet Pancakes pictured to the left only after I had ordered, or I would have seriously struggled over what I wanted.
We were too full for dessert, but I couldn't help but notice they had pies and banana pudding in jars. How lovely!




Andrew fits right in, in his characteristic suspenders.

Two things about this surprised me: how much I loved these grits, since I could usually just do without grits entirely, and how much the horseradish dill sauce made the wrap. I asked for it on the side because I wasn't sure if I could handle such a strong flavor, but it was more mild than expected, and it complemented  the tastes so well.

It might just be the southern girl in me, but I love a fresh, REAL lemon-aid. Just a little tart, not too sweet.






Fried Green Tomatoes. There's a reason there's a movie named after them. This tasty southern staple was served at our wedding, along with a biscuit bar with options like local wild honey, homemade preserves and jam, and pepper gravy.
I love attention to detail. This little hand stamped item was tucked under Andrew's coffee cup to catch any drips. 



I had Andrew ask for extra Spiced Honey Butter with his waffle which I then stole to eat on my biscuit. Crafty, eh?



My date, goofy as usual. 

It wouldn't be a Great Gatsby themed restaurant without some form of a mint julep. 

Appropriate quote... also a hint if you didn't catch the reference to the Fitzgerald classic. Now I just need to see Baz Luhrmann's version of The Great Gatsby that comes out this December.


No comments:

Post a Comment