5.31.2012

Turquoise Dip Dye


A few months ago before I chopped off my locks, I had bright turquoise tips. As usual, I did it myself. My baby sister, Harper, told me when she saw my hair that it was exactly what she was planning to do after graduation. So, now that my hair is different, and now that she has indeed graduated, it is time for a change.

 We started by discussing how much of her hair she wanted to be colored, and what it should look like. We decided that the color should have an ombre look, sort of fading into the brown instead of a blunt change from one color to the next. Then, we broke out the bleach kit and the foil. I purchased a kit for $10 at a beauty supply store, but I added in a couple of brushes, one to spread the bleach, one to spread the color, and aluminum foil to keep it all nice and neat. I also bought the demi-permanent color at the same beauty supply store for  about $8. P.S. I also highly recommend plastic gloves.

We broke our processes up into two different days so it would take less time. For hair as dark as hers, the bleach processing time was a little over half an hour. 

She thoroughly washed out the bleach, and the next day when her hair was all dry again, we let the color pigments stain her hair for another half hour or so. When you wash out the color, it takes what seems like ages for the water to run clear, and I always get a little panicky that none of the color will hold... but it always does. And as you can see here, it looks AMAZING. Especially on my already gorgeous baby sister.  






Of course we had to try a fish tail braid. It looks so pretty with the color woven in.






Here's photo of Harper and me with my already-faded tips around Christmastime. 


No comments:

Post a Comment